Tuesday, June 24, 2008

I Believe in Miracles

Saturday, June 21 was one of the worst, yet best days of my entire life.

We were enjoying a swimming birthday party at a friend's house and Sammy for some reason has not really caught on to the love of swimming that I have. He loves the bathtub, but pools just aren't his thing. Well, for some reason, after we were all done swimming, Sammy decided to give it a try. Nobody knows for sure what exactly happened, but our friend Jaime Quijano turned to the pool and "All I saw was Sammy's little foot" he said, so he ran to the pool and tried to pull him out. He couldn't reach--Sammy was already too deep in the water. He yelled for help and his brother, Jorge, jumped into the pool and rescued Sammy. They got him to the side of the pool and pumped some water out of his stomache. It was then that Paco and I ran out to see what was going on. There was Sammy, laying wet, cold, and purple on the cement next to the pool.

Interestingly enough, I didn't freak out. All those CPR and First Aid classes I have taken came right to the front of my mind and I felt confident and knew how to handle the situation. I stayed calm (rule #1) the whole time which I'm sure was a direct blessing from God. Sammy was moaning, so I knew immediately he was breathing--this gave me hope. I silently prayed a quick plead to my Heavenly Father and then assessed the rest of the situation. His lips were dark purple and he just stared forward, moaning. Once I realized there was no water left that would come out, Paco picked him up and we quickly dried him off and got him changed--waiting for our little Sammy to come back. Within minutes he was "back to normal". His color came back, and he was responding to everything we asked him. He remembered his ABC's, he sang Old McDonald with me, and even pointed to "Mommy, Daddy, Baby (pointing to my stomach). I knew he was okay. No physical damage, and no mental damage.

Still calm, I called the doctor and put in the report. Today as I visited with the doctor in person, she told me I was very blessed. She told a story of a similar story where the little girl was in a coma for days and now has delayed mental abilities. She said, "You are blessed. He has no signs of any damage."

About an hour after the incident is when it all hit me. Once I knew he was okay--I was the one who broke down! That was a sleepless night, needless to say. I couldn't help but think "WHAT IF." I realize that is destructive behavior and only makes it worse. Paco gave me a blessing that promised me peace of mind...which is just what I needed. Although it is getting easier, I haven't even talked to friends about it because it still is a sensitive topic for me that could possibly bring tears--so do me a favor and don't ask me about it--just yet.

Ever since Sammy was born we have felt he is a "special" baby. Everybody loves him. He has friends and admirors of all ages. He will go with anybody who puts his arms to him, he'll give anyone a "beso" (kiss) that asks for it, and he can make anyone laugh and smile with his cute little face. I know the Lord has saved him for a higher purpose. He will be a great big brother, a great priesthood holder, and an incredible father (just like Paco!).

I can't give him enough hugs and kisses--I am so happy to be with him still. I just sit and watch him play and think of how blessed we are.

I have a new sense of empathy and sorrow for those who are unfortunate to lose a child one way or another. It is something one can not possibly understand until they have been in this situation. My heart goes out to those who have experienced this pain. I daily thank my Heavenly Father for saving my little Sammy and for helping Jaime and Jorge to see Sammy at just the right moment.

There's no question in my mind...I believe in miracles.

Mormon 9:15 "God has not ceased to be a God of miracles."

4 comments:

  1. Wow. What a scary experience for you. It is wonderful that you were trained and able to keep calm. I am glad that everything is okay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely a miracle! I'm glad you shared that one with us. On Sunday one of the YSAs in my ward asked me why I wasn't wearing the Father's Day ties Maddie & Weston had made for me in Primary - I said it was because it wasn't Father's Day. She said I needed to wear them every day, and I admitted that she had a point. Kids are miracles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can only imagine. I am so glad you guys were blessed! Give him hugs from us too. Hopefully this experience won't completly turn him off to swimming and pools (just with supervision of course).

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a blessing all turned out okay. I hope that when I have to be calm in a situation like that, I can keep my head like you did. It is amazing how God helps us in all things. Give little Sammy a hug from his friends in New Jersey!

    ReplyDelete