Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Lonely Wives Club

Marriage is a wonderful thing. However, it does weird things to you! There was a time when I had no interest whatsoever in getting married (at least I wasn't in any rush like a lot of other girls at college were). I was very independent and had huge dreams for being a successful business woman. All of that changed when I married Paco.

Now I could talk your ear off about how wonderful marriage is and how much happiness it brings, I have no dreams of being a hot-shot business woman, and last but not least, I have grown totally dependent on spending time with Paco. :)

With that, comes the Lonely Wives Club that was recently created by some friends of mine. It's more of a joke, and it's just a temporary group, but it's real! We met up together last night and had a wonderful dinner together while the kids played and we were all distracted while our husbands slaved away at their jobs.

Paco is going through busy season working on taxes all day and all night long preparing for the Sept 15 and Oct 15 deadlines. Let's just say that since Monday morning until right now, I have been with Paco for 8 hours exactly. 6 1/2 of those hours were spent sleeping. The other 1/2 hour was his shower time, and the last hour was divided between chit chat yesterday morning and this morning catching up on our lives.

I thought it was bad when he came home at 3:30 am, but this morning he came home at 7 am and left again at 10:30 am. yeah, crazy. I won't go on about what I think about salary jobs (except that I think it's a joke and it's worse than child labor). Especially when they demand all their employees to have a minimum of 55 hours/week during busy season. (again, unpaid). But whatever. We all have to work, right?

So to any of you who have ever felt part of the Lonely Wives Club--just know that there's lots of us out there feeling the same way. We just have to remember a few things:
1. It's short term
2. Our husband's hate it as much as we do
3. It's really not going to traumatize our children as much as we think it will
4. The less we complain about it, the easier it is
5. We need to be welcoming when our husbands finally do get home, so that they don't dread coming home to a grumpy wife! :)
6. Make the best of it! :)

2 comments:

  1. Oh man, I will stop complaining, cause girl... you won the trophy for most time given up in a week to work.

    You're such a trooper. "This too, shall pass". You inspire me to be a happier wife.

    How's the budget?

    ReplyDelete
  2. can I just say amen to #5 on your list. i know it's not the '50s when wives were expected to have a hot meal waiting and a ribbon in her hair when hubby came home, but it does make a huge difference when we don't vent (as much as we deserve to vent) right when he gets home. my husband points out that i'm nicer to strangers sometimes, and sadly it is true! although i don't mean to, i put on my company manners for others, but just let it all out when it is just him.

    yesterday he let me have a lot of time to myself, sleeping in, grocery shopping, and a trip to the temple. when i got home, boy was he grumpy! and i was in such a great mood, so refreshed and relaxed. i just had to laugh how the tables had turned.

    but i agree that we have a lot of influence on the spirit of our home.

    ReplyDelete