We started homeschooling last week. The first official day was supposed to be Monday August 18th, but the kids were so excited to get started...so we did!
So since we've been asked, I thought I'd share :)
First, for mere entertainment, I'll start with some FAQ's:
1. Are you crazy? I don't think so, but I could be wrong ;)
2. Do you not like your kids school/teacher/principal? Nope, we love them actually. We have been very happy at our schools.
3. Do you hate the public school system in general and what it teaches or doesn't teach? Nope.
4. Do you think you're smarter/better/more prepared than a teacher with credentials? Nope. Quite the contrary, but happy to give it a shot :)
5. Do you have lots of friends who homeschool that you're going to buddy up with? Nope. Pretty much on my own here.
6. Is there an "issue" with your child? Nope. Don't think so.
7. Was this an easy decision? Nope. There were many late nights, tears, prayers, conversations, research, prayers, oh and late nights... before making this decision.
8. Are you nervous/scared? Yep! I'm a little nervous, but knowing that it's the right thing has put me totally at ease.
9. Then why on earth are you doing it? hahaha
In a nutshell, the answer is TIME. LOVE. HUGS. SMILES. OPPORTUNITIES.
I know I'm not the only mom who finds herself in the busy rut of "hurry and brush your teeth, hurry with breakfast, hurry and read scriptures, get in the car, let's go, do you have all your homework, did I sign everything, did I get the $10 in his backpack for some school activity, did I pack his favorite snack, jump out of the car, see you at 3." Then "How was school? Here's your snack, let's do homework, time to play outside with friends, practice the piano, run to sports practice, come in for dinner, clean up your plate, get in the bath, brush your teeth, let's read, let's pray, time for bed." WHEW!
The thought of doing this again this year but times TWO (with my younger one entering kinder this year) was enough to break my heart. I wanted TIME with my boys, with my family. I want them TOGETHER playing cards, laughing, teaching each other, playing silly tricks, making things from Play-doh with their little sister, having tickle fests on the living room floor, reading scriptures together without being rushed, I wanted all of this. I've always teased Sammy saying "hey, you can homeschool too if you want" and he has always politely said no. But I've always hoped that he would say yes, especially this school year because we are in such a great stage as a family right now. Then it happened. Out of nowhere two weeks ago he said "okay, I'll homeschool." I was shocked! I never thought he'd actually say yes! So quickly my husband and i went to God to make sure this was right. We prayed and discussed and knew immediately that it was right. Was I nervous? yes. Was I scared? yes. But it felt so right that I couldn't deny it. We are taught that faith and doubt cannot coexist. That is exactly how I am feeling. The doubt is washed away because I have complete faith that it's what God wants for my family right now.
When I originally decided to homeschool Jacob (kindergartner) a few months ago, the only way I could describe my feelings and thoughts was in a picture. In the picture I am hugging Jacob so tight and just loving him. That's how I feel about homeschooling. I have no other hidden agenda. I just want to be together. I can't count how many times I squeeze these little kids and tell them I love them every single day. This may be a morbid thought, but I truly think "what if, what if, what if?" I have no way of knowing how much time I have with these little treasures. But while I do, I'm going to squeeze them and love them and enjoy them as long as I possibly can.
And that is why I'm homeschooling this year. :)
I'm so happy for you guys! I've had some of these exact feelings lately. I want to sit down and chat. I may need your experiences to encourage me if this is what the Lord has for our little family as well.
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing, Christine! We should all get together and chat!!
ReplyDeleteI think your decision is wonderful! I am so glad. I have not ruled it out of my future either. I hope this year is everything you dreamed of!
ReplyDelete